I was passed the following message in a text file from a small regional charity. It was on the start up screen when the computer was turned on.
All your documents, photos, databases and other important personal files
were encrypted using strong RSA-1024 algorithm with a unique key.
To restore your files you have to pay 0.49965 BTC (bitcoins).
Please follow this manual:1. Create Bitcoin wallet here: https://blockchain.info/wallet/new2. Buy 0.49965 BTC with cash, using search here: https://localbitcoins.com/buy_bitcoins3. Send 0.49965 BTC to this Bitcoin address:1FkFRVWCvTyimcAAxq19dhYGspQ4KaeoabL4. Open one of the following links in your browser to download decryptor:
5. Run decryptor to restore your files.
– If you do not pay in 3 days YOU LOOSE ALL YOUR FILES.
– Nobody can help you except us.
– It`s useless to reinstall Windows, update antivirus software, etc.
– Your files can be decrypted only after you make payment.
– You can find this manual on your desktop (DECRYPT.txt)
(In the above example I have edited all of the links to make them void just in case anyone was curious to take a look and land in more trouble.)
Is it real what should I do?
First, tell your manager. It may represent a risk to the office and everything connected to the local area network.
Continue reading You don’t want one of these….